EKOenergy: network and label
EKOenergy is a network of European environmental NGOs promoting the use of sustainable electricity. Currently, there are 34 members, from 26 European countries. And more will join.
Together, we want to:
- stimulate the development of the renewable electricity sector and to promote climate friendly solutions
- contribute to the protection of biodiversity, habitats and ecosystem services
- inform all electricity consumers about the product they are buying and about the meaning and impact of their purchase.
- mobilize the positive energy of 1000′s of individuals, groups and companies sharing our ambition, and to give them the opportunity to get involved.
- foster the dialogue between and join forces with the electricity sector, the environmental NGOs and other stakeholders (e.g. consumer organizations and authorities).
EKOenergy is also an ecolabel for electricity, managed by the EKOenergy network. The purpose of the ecolabel is to assist consumers in navigating the complex European electricity market.
Not surprisingly, only electricity from renewable sources can be sold as EKOenergy. But EKOenergy is more than just renewable electricity. It also fulfills additional sustainability requirements set by the EKOenergy Network. Moreover, consumers of EKOenergy receive correct information about the origin of their electricity.
The EKOenergy label is the only electricity label which results from a pan-European consultation process, which works on the whole European market and which is recognized by stakeholders in all European countries.