Annual Report 2016
In 2016, our fourth year of activities, we continued to make progress on many fronts.
Promotion of a 100% renewable world
The EKOenergy ecolabel is a concrete tool to guide consumers towards 100% renewable energy and to help them make a real difference.
- We donated 90,000 euro to renewable energy projects in five countries: two health centers in Cameroon as well as five schools in Tanzania got access to solar energy and 4 Togolese villages got an energy kiosk. We supported a small solar project in a village of Alpaca farmers in Southern Peru. A project to bring solar energy to disadvantaged families in Nicaragua will start early 2017.
- We joined strengths with Protect Our Winters Finland, an organisation of winter sports athletes and together we launched the ‘Save our Winters’ campaign.
- Our growing success in countries such as Finland, Spain, Italy and Germany encourages us to actively enter new and more ambitious countries. This year we made a lot of progress in Russia and we drastically increased our efforts to bring EKOenergy’s ideas to Poland and Turkey.
- We actively communicate about the opportunities of a 100% renewable economy, particularly via social media.
- We donated 50,000 euro to a river restoration project in Southern Finland, to restore the spawning areas of salmon and we donated 30,000 euros to the Finnish Association for Nature Conservation to prepare a dam removal project.
- The LIFE Freshabit project started, which allows us to focus more than ever before on river restoration.
- We screened over 200 power plants in more than 20 countries. Our ecolabel is a concrete tool to stimulate dialogue between power plant operators and nature conservationists. Getting to know each other’s concerns and constraints is the first step towards finding a solution.
- We regularly communicate about the impact of climate change on biodiversity. Mainly on social media.
Development of the label
- We recruited a marketing director. For the first time, we have somebody focusing full time on marketing.
- We developed an ecolabel for renewable gas, which will be launched in early 2017.
- Many switched to EKOenergy and proudly communicate about it: the city of Lappeenranta (Finland), the ice hockey club Mikkelin Jukurit (Finland), the window company Schüco (Germany), breweries Saimaan Juomatehdas (Finland), Lesster (Italy) and UrbanBeer (Spain) and many more.
- We organised several ambitious promotion campaigns, focusing on eco-hotels, on LEED buildings and on breweries.
Much more happened too. All this doesn’t only prove that we are growing, it also proves that we are getting better at what we are doing.
Read the full story in our Annual Report 2016 : Together we are unstoppable (pdf, 42 pages, 1,5 MB).