Money for climate projects
For each MWh of EKOenergy sold, a minimum of 10 eurocents goes to EKOenergy’s Climate Fund. That money is used to finance climate projects that would not have happened without the contributions.
EKOenergy does not set up its own projects, but finances projects managed by experienced organisations.
The projects are selected via a transparent and open selection process, in which sellers and consumers are actively involved. The final decision is taken by the EKOenergy Board.
Soon after our launch, we decided to spend the first money of the Climate Fund on climate projects in developing countries. This is where we can really make a difference with relatively small amounts of money. However, we remain open for other suggestions.
In June 2013, we launched a first call for projects, and by September 2013, we received exactly 100 proposals, containing over 130 projects. The project applicants came from over 30 different countries, and the suggested project locations were spread over four continents and more than 70 countries. With the help of an external jury we selected the best projects.
In 2014, 2015 and 2016 we financed the following projects.
- Tanzania: € 40,000 euro to the Italian organization Istituto Oikos for the installation of solar panels on schools in Northern Tanzania.
- Indonesia: € 28,000 to the Dutch organisations HIVOS, for the installation of solar panels on remote schools in Sumba, an Indonesian Island.
- Cameroon: € 38,000 to the Swiss organisation SolAfrica install solar panels on schools and health centers in Southern Cameroon.
- Togo: € 10,000 to the Belgian organisation Solar without borders to install solar kiosks in Togo.
- Nicaragua: € 20,000 the the US organisation Green Empowerment for a project to bring solar to rural areas of Northern Nicaragua.
- Peru: € 5,000 to the international organisation Practical Action, for a project to bring solar energy to remote villages in the Peruvian Andes.
All organisations work in close cooperation with local partners. And all selected projects are part of larger, long lasting and ambitious projects.
Let’s do more
More projects are waiting. Do you want to help us do more?
- Switch to EKOenergy certified electricity and ask others to do the same.
- We also welcome donations.