For each megawatt-hour sold as EKOenergy hydropower, a contribution of at least 0.10 € (ten cents) is paid to EKOenergy’s Environmental Fund. These contributions are used to finance the implementation of river restoration projects.
We are now able to finance 2 to 3 small-scale river projects in Germany, Finland or Sweden. These are the countries where EKOenergy-labelled hydropower has (mainly) been sold in 2019.
Applications must be submitted no later than 15 May 2020. An expert group will select the best projects from the proposals we receive.
The amount to be requested can be up to € 25,000 per project. The applicant’s financial solvency and previous experience of similar projects, as well as the high communication potential and the possibility to duplicate the project, will be considered as advantages. Above all, the projects will be assessed from the perspective of their ecological significance. We want to achieve the greatest possible environmental benefit in a cost-effective manner. Also, co-financing is possible.
What to include in your application?
Keep the application short (max 4 pages – pdf).
We ask for applications preferably in English. But also allow applications in Finnish or Swedish. (For applications in Finnish and Swedish: add a summary of about 300 words in English).
• A brief and clear description of the project itself: what, where, when, who, to whom, and why.
• The nature conservation outcomes the project aims to achieve. Briefly describing which species and habitats will benefit from the project.
• Which organization will be responsible for implementing the project.
• The contact details of the appropriate contact person (postal address, telephone, e-mail).
• Information on how you plan to communicate about the project. Briefly describing the communication channels you have.