In 2015, our third year, EKOenergy continued to grow exponentially.
- We welcomed new members as well as new licensees (i.e. sellers).
- We financed solar panels on schools in Cameroon and Indonesia and river restoration projects in Finland and Latvia.
- We developed new tools, such as an online course about renewable electricity, in cooperation with the German and American Green Building Councils.
- The volume of electricity sold with our label doubled, to about 1 TWh (provisional number).
- We started a lot of new and promising projects, such as the direct marketing project in cooperation with the German company Energysolutions24 and a project focusing on green electricity sales in Russia. We also actively cooperated with Energiaremontti, the Finnish ‚Energy transition campaign‘.
- We welcomed more volunteers and trainees than ever before. They work as liaisons between the EKOenergy secretariat and our local members and sellers.
- The most dramatic change in our strategy was probably our decision to develop from a European initiative to a worldwide network and ecolabel. We have established connections and cooperation agreements with two Asian NGOs and one Taiwanese seller. We are confident that this is the beginning of an interesting and successful international adventure.
Further, we have laid solid foundations for further growth. We are in contact with dozens of potential members, sellers and consumers in many countries. In December 2015, we got the fantastic news that we are one of the main partners in an ambitious and far-reaching EU funded project, named FRESHABIT LIFE IP, which focuses on freshwater restorations in Finland. The project starts in January 2016 and will continue until 2022.
Read more about all this in our Annual Report 2015.
Posted on 14 January 2016