Renewable heat and cold
The following types of heat can get the EKOenergy ecolabel:
- Heat that is produced with sustainable types of bioenergy and from 100% renewable energy installations.
- Heat that is produced with heat pumps that are powered by sustainable renewable energy and have a Seasonal Coefficient of Performance (SCOP) of 3.40 or more.
- Heat recovered from waste heat and cold (i.e. unavoidable heat or cold that would otherwise dissipate unused into the air or water) if the heat recovery installation uses sustainable renewable energy. The use of waste heat originating from fossil and nuclear energy production installations is excluded.
- Geothermal heat or solar heat from installations that fulfil our sustainability criteria.
- Heat produced with gas that fulfils EKOenergy’s sustainability criteria.
For each MWh of EKOenergy-labelled heat, a contribution of 0.10 € (ten cents) goes to EKOenergy’s Climate Fund. The Climate Fund makes grants to implement renewable energy projects in developing countries. All financed project help to realise the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
EKOenergy’s criteria for heat also include rules for the reliable tracking of energy and the avoidance of double counting.
The same criteria apply, as far as relevant, to cold.
- EN: EKOenergy’s criteria for renewable heat and cold (pdf)
- ES: Criterios de EKOenergía para calor y frío renovables (pdf)
- FI: EKOenergian kriteerit uusiutuvalle lämmölle ja jäähdytykselle (pdf)
- FR: Les critères d’EKOénergie en matière de chaleur et de froid renouvelables (pdf)
- IT: Criteri di EKOenergy per il calore e il freddo da fonti rinnovabili (pdf)
- RU: Критерии ЭКОэнергии по возобновляемым источникам тепла и холода (pdf)
Are you interested in launching EKOenergy-labelled heat or cold in your country? Contact us for more information!