For each megawatt-hour sold as EKOenergy hydropower, a contribution of at least 0.10 euro (ten eurocents) is paid into the EKOenergy Environmental Fund. The money from EKOenergy’s Environmental Fund is used to finance the implementation of river restoration projects.
The financed projects are not managed by EKOenergy. EKOenergy wants to support existing dynamics and join existing initiatives.
For more information:
Environmental Director, EKOenergy
+358 50 308 2457
Call for proposals for year 2019 is now open (for projects in Finland)
Apply for funding for your project! EKOenergy donates 60 000 € for projects starting in 2019. Deadline for submitting proposals: 15th January 2019.
Read more: Apply for funding for your project (in Finnish, and for projects in Finland only)
River restoration projects in 2018
In 2018 The Environmental Fund is funding seven river restoration projects, with total financing of 130,000 €. The projects are located in Finland and Germany:
- 36,000 € for Hunting the disappeared pearl
- 8,000 € for Stream restoration in Lake Näsijärvi catchment area
- 25,000 € for Let migration be free
- 25,000 € for Fisheries restoration of River Isojoki
- 21,000 € for Connection of a meander in Schnataer Myhlenbach
- 10,000 € for Bless the Sieriniemi – Rowing event for the last remaining free-flowing part of River Kemijoki
- 5,000 € for Let River Mustijoki be a living salmon river
Based on experience
The idea of an Environmental Fund is not new. It has been copied from the Nordic countries, where similar funds have existed since the beginning of this century. In Finland, money originating from the sales of ecolabelled hydropower has been invested in building fish passages and in restoring spawning grounds of migratory fish.
See all the river restoration projects funded by the EKOenergy Environmental Fund and its Finnish predecessor.