For each megawatt-hour sold as EKOenergy hydropower, a contribution of at least 0.10 euro (ten eurocents) is paid into the EKOenergy Environmental Fund. The money from EKOenergy’s Environmental Fund is used to finance the implementation of river restoration projects.
The financed projects are not managed by EKOenergy. EKOenergy supports existing dynamics and joins existing initiatives.
For more information:
Environmental Director, EKOenergy
+358 50 308 2457
Examples of finished river restoration projects
River restoration projects in 2018
In 2018 The Environmental Fund financed seven river restoration projects, with total financing of 130,000 €. The projects are located in Finland and Germany:
- 8,000 € for Stream restoration in Lake Näsijärvi catchment area to re-establish brown trout populations
- 36,000 € for “Hunting the lost pearl”, to improve the conservation status of the endangered freshwater pearl mussel (Margaritifera margaritifera).
- 25,000 € for “Let migration be free”, to restore trout habitats.
- 25,000 € for restoring river Isojoki for brown trout to spawn.
- 21,000 € for “Connection of a meander in Schnegaer Mühlenbach”.
- 10,000 € for Bless the Sieriniemi – Rowing event for the last remaining free-flowing part of River Kemijoki.
- 5,000 € for “Let River Mustijoki be a living salmon river” to re-establish a route for migratory fish such as seatrout.
See all the river restoration projects funded by the EKOenergy Environmental Fund.