Call for Climate Projects 2018 – 2019
15 October 2018
EKOenergy is the international ecolabel for renewable energy. EKOenergy labelled energy is always renewable and fulfills additional sustainability criteria set by environmental NGOs. For each MWh of sales, the supplier pays minimum €0.10 to EKOenergy’s Climate Fund.
The Climate Fund finances renewable electricity projects aimed at alleviating energy poverty in developing countries and regions.
This is a call for applications for solar energy projects to be financed in 2019 and 2020.We have approximately €200,000 in total to finance 4 to 8 projects – depending on the individual costs of selected projects.
A second call for applications will be launched later this year, in cooperation with Siemenpuu Foundation, for similar projects in Mali, Myanmar and Nepal.
Requirements for project applications
We are looking for solar energy projects in which the contribution by EKOenergy is between €10,000 and €70,000.
Deadline for submission is 1 December 2018.
Please send your project proposal of maximum 5 pages, in PDF format to: ekoenergyfundssll.fi
Focus particularly (but not exclusively) on the following aspects:
- Your previous experience in the field of renewable energy.
- Your bookkeeping and resources: What is your annual budget and what are the main sources of income? Have you implemented projects that were co-financed by public authorities? How is your bookkeeping audited?
- How do you plan to communicate about the project? How will you communicate at local level, in the country where the project is being implemented? And how can you help us share the news about your project towards energy consumers in general and users of EKOenergy-ecolabeled energy in particular? (This can include a cooperation with an EKOenergy licensee.)
- How does your project contribute to extra renewable electricity generation and how much renewable energy will be produced?
- How will the project be followed up after the installation?
- What is the impact on the local community? (including links with the UN Sustainable Development Goals). How is the local community involved in the project?
If possible, illustrate with concrete examples of earlier or similar projects. Please base your application on the evaluation criteria listed below.
Our evaluation criteria
We will evaluate your application based on the extent to which it fulfills these criteria:
- Experience, solvency and reliability of the main applicant + strong involvement of local organizations/NGOs (20%)
- Strong, demonstrated links with several of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (20%)
- Quality and efficiency of the project: effectiveness, efficiency, relevance, impact (20%)
- Long term viability, sustainability and replicability of the project (20%)
- Opportunities for advertising the benefits of renewable energy and informing the users of EKOenergy-ecolabeled energy how their contributions are being spent. (20%)
Other information and guidelines
- Information you send us will be shared with the jury and can by shared with the members of the network (43 NGOs from 33 countries)
- Limit the proposal to 5 pages. Annexes are allowed but not necessary. Please combine all documents into a single PDF.
- The reporting procedure will depend on the granted amount, and will be specified in the contract between EKOenergy and the selected organization(s).
- If you email us and you don’t get a confirmation email within 48 hours, please resend your email.
- Feel free to refer to specific pages on your website.
- Please indicate clearly to whom we should contact if we need additional information.