Renewable heat and cold
Following types of heat can get the EKOenergy ecolabel:
- Heat produced with sustainable types of bioenergy and in 100% renewable energy installations.
- Heat produced with heat pumps that are powered with sustainable renewable energy and having a Seasonal Coefficient of Performance (SCOP) of 3.40 or more.
- Heat recovered from waste heat and cold, i.e. unavoidable heat or cold which would be dissipated unused in air or water. The heat recovery installations should use sustainable renewable energy. Waste heat originating from fossil and nuclear energy production installations is in each case excluded.
- Geothermal heat or solar heat from installations that fulfil our sustainability criteria.
- Heat produced with EKOenergy-eligible renewable gas.
For each MWh of EKOenergy-labelled heat, the supplier pays at least 0.10 € (ten cents) to EKOenergy’s Climate Fund. These contributions are used to finance projects that stimulate further investments in renewable energy and that contribute to the realisation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Our criteria also deal with reliable tracking and with the avoidance of double counting.
The same rules apply, whenever relevant, to cold.
- EN: EKOenergy’s criteria for renewable heat and cold (pdf)
- ES: Criterios de EKOenergía para calor y frío renovables (pdf)
- FI: EKOenergian kriteerit uusiutuvalle lämmölle ja jäähdytykselle (pdf)
- FR: Les critères d’EKOénergie en matière de chaleur et de froid renouvelables (pdf)
- IT: Criteri di EKOenergy per il calore e il freddo da fonti rinnovabili (pdf)
- RU: Критерии ЭКОэнергии по возобновляемым источникам тепла и холода (pdf)
Are you interested in launching EKOenergy-labelled heat in your country? Contact us for more information!