EKOenergy’s Environmental Fund
River restoration projects
EKOenergy finances river restoration projects to mitigate the impact hydropower generation has on nature. It’s one of the ways consumers of EKOenergy-labelled hydropower make a positive difference.
- For each megawatt-hour sold as EKOenergy hydropower, a contribution of at least 0.10 euro (ten cents) is paid into EKOenergy’s Environmental Fund. These contributions are used to finance the implementation of river restoration projects.
- The projects take place in the countries where EKOenergy-ecolabelled electricity has been produced or where it has been sold.
- We don’t manage the projects by ourselves. Once a year we organise a call for projects and a jury of independent experts helps us select the best and most impactful proposals. All measures are implemented by experienced organisations.
We financed the first projects in 2015 and, since then, have financed 24 projects with a total sum of 419,057.00 €.
River stories: examples of financed river restoration projects
Map with all financed projects
Click on the icon in the top left of the map () to see the full list of financed projects, to select all projects of a specific year, and to see more information about the projects.
So far, most of the projects are in Finland, where most of the EKOenergy-labelled hydropower is being sold. We are looking forward to supporting nature and river ecosystems in many other countries too! Contact us for more information.
More information about the financed river projects
For more information and updates about the river restoration projects that are financed through our Environmental Fund:
- See EKOenergy’s accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Flickr, and Xing.
- Feel free to subscribe to our Newsletter.
- See the websites of the organisations that implemented the projects.
- Or have a look at the following ‘River Stories’. More coming soon!