For each megawatt-hour sold as EKOenergy hydropower, a contribution of at least 0.10 euro (ten eurocents) is paid into the EKOenergy Environmental Fund. The money from the EKOenergy Environmental Fund is used to finance the implementation of river restoration projects.
The projects financed are not managed by EKOenergy. EKOenergy wants to support existing dynamics and join existing initiatives.
River restoration projects in 2018
In 2018 The Environmental Fund is funding four river restoration projects, with total financing of € 130 000. The projects are located in Finland and Germany:
- € 36 000 for Hunting the disappeared pearl
- € 8 000 for Stream restoration in Lake Näsijärvi catchment area
- € 25 000 for Let migration be free
- € 25 000 for Fisheries restoration of River Isojoki
- € 21 000 for Connection of a meander in Schnataer Myhlenbach
- € 10 000 for Bless the Sieriniemi – Rowing event for the last remaining free-flowing part of River Kemijoki
- € 5 000 for Let River Mustijoki be a living salmon river
Based on experience
The idea of an Environmental Fund is not new. It has been copied from the Nordic countries, where similar funds have existed since the beginning of this century. In Finland, money originating from the sales of ecolabelled hydropower has been invested in building fish passages and in restoring spawning grounds of migratory fish. See all the river restoration projects funded by the EKOenergy Environmental Fund and its Finnish predecessor.