Ecolabel for renewable gas
The EKOenergy label is an internationally recognised mark of quality for renewable electricity, gas, heat and cooling. The ecolabel is also a communication tool and is used by individuals and companies to demonstrate their commitment to renewable energy, which encourages others to do the same.
EKOenergy-labelled renewable gas comes from:
- Either sustainable types of biomass, in particular biowaste and residues, or
- Gas produced through gasification processes using EKOenergy-eligible sustainable renewable electricity (renewable power-to-gas).
The ecolabel makes it easy for consumers to identify energy products that have minimum impact on the environment. For each MWh of EKOenergy-labelled gas sales, suppliers pay 0.10 €/MWh into EKOenergy’s Climate Fund. Through this Fund, EKOenergy finances renewable energy projects in developing countries.
In addition to sustainability, EKOenergy also sets criteria for the tracking of renewable gas and for the avoidance of double counting. To learn more about how the EKOenergy label helps establish sustainable renewable energy products, see EKOenergy for your company and Why buy EKOenergy.
Are you interested in launching EKOenergy-labelled gas in your country? Contact us for more information!
- EN: EKOenergy’s criteria for renewable gas (pdf)
- DE: EKOenergies Kriterien für erneuerbares Gas (pdf)
- ES: Criterios estándar de EKOenergía para gas renovable (pdf)
- FR: Les critères d’EKOénergie pour le gaz renouvelable (pdf)
- RU: Критерии ЭКОэнергии для возобновляемого газа (pdf)